The 1883 One Room Schoolhouse Museum, located just 100 feet off it's original site, is also home to the Encinitas Historical Society. It is the oldest existing building in Encinitas and is maintained by the society. It was built by Edward G. Hammond after the citizens petitioned for a bond to build the school. In 1927 the building was moved to 4th and H Street and was a private home for over 50 years. When faced with demolition in 1980 the historical society lobbied to have the building moved to the south/west corner of the old Pacific View Elementary School property. In 1997 it was finally restored, using grant funds and volunteers, and was opened to the public. Over the years the society has maintained its health and integrity creating a fantastic look into school life in the 1800's. It is open to the public free of charge on Saturdays 10am to 4pm.
Owner: Blair Gibb
Loading slideshow...